This dates back to a 1748 essay that Benjamin Franklin wrote that included the phrase “time is money”. Oddly enough, it has also been the title of a song, a film, a cartoon and is even a game on the Price is Right!
There are two main factors that surveyors take into consideration when calculating the cost to perform a survey:
- Time: The surveyor will evaluate the amount of time they believe it will take to complete a project. Factors that are commonly considered are:
- Size of the property being surveyed – the larger the property the more time it will take.
- Amount of foliage/tree coverage on the property – the heavier the coverage, the longer it will take as crews may have to “cut through the woods” to get to the back of the property.
- Age of the area – newer construction areas are typically easier to survey than areas that are 60+ years old.
- Corners vs. lines – if a client requests for just the corners to be marked, it will be less expensive than marking points along the property line; however, on large tracts, you typically can’t see from corner to corner and the real value becomes those points along the lines.
- Proximity of the property being surveyed to the company’s location – travel time may become a factor.
- Expenses: These would be the hard costs associated with the project such as:
- Research and record costs charged by the Recorder of Deeds, title companies, etc.
- Equipment costs if specialty equipment is needed.
Costs can vary from company to company based on these factors. Most companies provide a no cost, no obligation quote for their services. But as Gabriel Bell warned in the fifteenth century, “You get what you pay for”.
Cardinal Surveying would like the opportunity to earn your business. They service the greater St Louis Metro area, have been rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau since 2003, have surveyed over 27,000 properties and are a family owned company who prides themselves on producing accurate results with exceptional customer service. They can be contacted via email at email@example.com or phone at 636.922.1001. They look forward to working with you for all your land surveying needs.